< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 

Welcome to the homepage of Museum Judengasse with information on
Frankfurt's Judengasse

The site offers a brief history of the former Jewish Ghetto, the Judengasse (literally Jews' Lane), its inhabitants, the houses, and life in the ghetto down through the centuries.
The colored zones facilitate switching from one content area to another. Zoom the illustrations by clicking them.


The Jewish population was forced to live for over 400 years in Frankfurt' s Judengasse. It was located outside the city walls in the East End of the city of Frankfurt and ran in a slight curve from today's Konstablerwache almost as far as the Main river. It was about 330 m long, 3-4 meters wide, and had three town gates. These were locked at night and on Sundays and (Christian) holidays; when they were closed, the Jewish population was essentially locked in.
In the beginning probably 15 families lived in the ghetto; in the 16th century the number of inhabitants of the Jews' Lane had risen to some 3,000.
At the end of the 19th century, the Judengasse was torn down. The work took place in two phases. Most of the inhabitants moved to the East End. At the southern end of the former Judengasse, which was renamed Börneplatz in 1885, a new synagogue was opened in 1882. The area was left derelict after 1945. It was used first as a car park, then as a petrol station and finally as the wholesale flower market - until the Municipal Utilities decided to build its administrative center there. A fierce debate ensued nationwide as to what should be done with the archaeological remains uncovered during the construction work. Of the original 195 houses, 19 foundations were found - today five of them can be seen at "Museum Judengasse" and are used to present everyday life, living conditions and the religious customs of the Jewish inhabitants.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources